Stephanie Simon Morita
(PDF of Bio)
Stephanie Simon Morita concentrates her practice in municipal law, local taxation law, and property tax appeal defense. Ms. Morita has extensive trial experience representing municipalities in valuation disputes in the Michigan Tax Tribunal, and has also successfully litigated valuation and tax disputes in Circuit, Probate and Bankruptcy courts. Her representation of clients in property tax and exemption matters has also extended to appearances before the State Tax Commission, Federal District Courts, and Appellate Courts in the State of Michigan. Her work has encompassed plat vacation, construction and real property title disputes, litigation of real property sale - specific performance and trespass nuisance claims, Open Meetings Act, Freedom of Information Act, zoning, construction contract drafting and administration of the construction of public works, ordinance review and drafting, mutual aid agreements, local government contracts, and arbitration.
Phone: (248) 489-4100
Fax: (248) 489-1726
- A.B. with Honors - University of Michigan, 1992
- J.D. - Wayne State University Law School, 1995
Professional Activities / Memberships
- 1995-present - State Bar of Michigan
- 2008-present - Member of the Council for the Appellate Practice Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- 2011-2013 - Secretary of the Appellate Practice Section Council
- 2013-present - Treasurer of the Appellate Practice Section Council
Community Activities / Involvement
- 2007-2015 - City of Rochester Hills Brownfield Redevelopment Authority
- 2013-present - City of Rochester Hills City Council
- 2013-present – Avondale Youth Assistance Board of Directors
- 2013-2015 – Paint Creek Trailway Commission Member
- 2015-present – City of Rochester Hills City Council Vice President
- 2015-present – City of Rochester Hills Planning Commission
- 2015-present – Older Person's Commission (OPC) Board of Directors
Publications / Presentations
Awards / Honors
- Co-Author, “Vacation of Platted Land Dedicated for Public Use” - Public Corporation Law Quarterly, Dec. 1999, and reprinted with permission in the Michigan Real Property Review, Spring 2000.
- Presenter - 2002 National Business Institute’s Seminar on Property Tax Law in Michigan.
- Presenter - 2003 National Business Institute’s Seminar on Property Tax Law in Michigan.
- Presenter - 2003 Institute for Professionals in Taxation Michigan One-Day Tax Update Seminar.
- Author, “Basement Flooding Claims Under Public Act 222 of 2001” - Nov. 2002 Edition of Laches, published by the Oakland County Bar Association.
- Author, “Free Beer – A Truly Intriguing Tale of Property Taxation and Foreclosure” - July 2008 Edition of Laches, published by the Oakland County Bar Association.
- Presenter - Appellate Practice Section May, 2011 Seminar on the “Economics of Appellate Practice”.
- Co-Author, "What Judges Say About How to Brief That Arcane Appeal (and Practically Everything Else)" – Michigan Bar Journal, February 2013
- Presenter – Oakland County Bar Association Municipal Law Committee, "Hot Topics in Property Tax Law", September 2015
- Presenter – Rochester Area American Association of University Women, "What it Takes to Lead", October 2015